Prerequisites for the exam:
- 1. High school diploma (valid for admission to Universities in the country in which it was obtained)
- 2. Minimum 60 hours of teaching (in any subject in either organizations or schools) or student-teaching in classes of Italian for foreigners (in Italy or abroad)
- 3. Non-native speakers. Good knowledge of Italian (minimum level C1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages)
- Section A: Analysis of didactic materials. The candidate must analyze material from the books of Italian for foreigners and be able to answer questions: these are the questions which are intended to verify that the candidate is knowledgeable on the purposes of the various proposed activities (which abilities are stimulated, what skills are tested).
- Section B: Analysis and exploitation of an instructional text. The candidate will be provided with a text and other material as it will be used to build activities in order to target specific skills. The candidate must demonstrate the ability to identify the objectives reached through a specific task and to be able to adjust the activity at the students’ level.
- Section C: Basic knowledge of teaching theory (glottodidactics). A series of questions will be presented which verify the candidates’ knowledge of the basic principles of language teaching and the main methodological approaches of the twentieth century. The examination assesses competence in teaching Italian in relation to particular profiles of students (children, adolescents, adults, immigrants, college students, students of Italian origin).
In Sections A and B, the candidate chooses the profiles (maximum two) on the exam. Section C, however, provides a common section to all profiles as well as a specific section which answers questions related to the selected profiles .
To receive certification of the DITALS I, candidates must reach the minimum score on all sections of the exam. If the candidate gets the minimum score in only one or two sections, he/she may capitalize on their results and retake only the sections that were not previously passed (within three years from the first examination).